// Width here // Height here

A heartbreaking wartime sacrifice and later, a father’s quest

The child was Jewish, but to survive in wartime Warsaw, 18-month-old Natalie Leya Weinstein needed a Christian name. Her father wrote a new name on a piece of paper, Natalie Yazinska, and left her on a stranger’s doorstep, hoping she would be taken in. He then sneaked into the Warsaw ghetto where fellow Jews gave him shelter. When the war was over, Weinstein learned that every member of his family had been murdered, including his wife, Sima. Now he lived only for one thing —  finding out what happened to his daughter.

Read Kurt Streeter’s story.

1. August 4, 2011, 7:37 pm

He's a tribute to the fighting spirit of those few Jews who by G-D's mercy were fortunate to outmaneuver death for his daughter and himself… and then to be able to find her and raise her.

By: cairnmontusa@aol.com
  2. August 5, 2011, 5:39 pm

We must never forget what was

done to us/what was allowed by the rest of humanity to be

done to us and all those others. Our children and their children must be taught

so that it can never happen again!

3. August 7, 2011, 3:35 am

bookshelf/hands/3 newspapers & a glass of regal

By: Nikki
  4. August 8, 2011, 12:22 am

God bless you sir. What a story! My God. And I am a goyem. How can I possibly really relate to the horrors and obscenities you lived through, driven by the land of Schiller and Mozart and Goethe and Beethoven. Such madness. May you live for ever. Young at 101…Todar.

By: sirhughelliot.com
  5. August 8, 2011, 5:50 am

Sounds familiar I managed to hidw my litle sister in a convent school in Waterloo Belgium ,after our parentWs were arrested ,she survived !!! wbondy@gmail .com

By: WWW
  6. August 13, 2011, 3:13 pm

All it takes for evil to triumph is for the good to remain silent…….That is why we must maintain a free and
    unbiased press. It is the duty of the press to be ever vigilant and ever critical of our government, regardless of the party in power! It is important to have all sides of an issue brought to the surface and
    discussed.

By: sholley@sti.net
  7. August 14, 2011, 6:49 pm

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Leon and Natalie for sharing you story will all of us…you are an inspiration and a source of strength…if we all treat each other with respect and consideration, our behavior will become the norm…your courage will help us do the right thing ….again, thank you!
    William R. Postiglione

By: 1190posts@gmail.com
  8. August 15, 2011, 11:26 am

My Dad was in the Joint Distribution Committe in the late ’30’s, prior to going back into the military and no one would believe the stories that he would tell about what the Nazis were doing—even Roosevelt would do nothing, even having a shipload of refugees denied landing rights in t he USA and being returned to Europe, where they weren’t wanted either.

I hope we have learned our lesson but I’m not sure we have looking at the direction our current administration is dragging us…..

By: Dick Sterne
  9. August 22, 2011, 11:04 am

My mother, Leah Letofsky, was fortunate to come to this country in 1910. Her mother, Malkah, along with 3 daughters and one son were fortunate to escape to Haifa, Israel before the germans destroyed their Shtetl along with 3100 men. women and children. It is no mystery that when WW2 started and I gave my enlistment papers to my mother to sign, Her comment “although you are only 18, I FEEL WE OWE THIS COUNTRY.

By: Harold H. Levy