// Width here // Height here

Americans still struggle with lasting effects of the recession

Throughout U.S. history, economic downturns have taken lasting tolls – reducing family earnings, diminishing expectations and straining relationships. These days, two years after the official end of the worst financial crisis since the Great Depression, untold numbers of Americans continue to struggle.

The Times followed three families struggling to regain their footing. The Petersens, the Longs and the Tuckers come from different backgrounds; their prospects vary.

Read the full story

1. December 23, 2011, 3:32 pm

Ms. Falkenberg has done a profoundly good job of representing the struggles faced by so many people. Kudos to the Times for supporting this kind of journalism.

By: Matt
  2. December 23, 2011, 4:14 pm

The story of these families are very touching and heart breaking. It makes you put things into perspective and cherish life. I know it makes me want to give back and help out any way I can. God bless those families and I will keep each and everyone of them in my prayers.

By: adf111@sbcglobal.net
  3. December 23, 2011, 5:03 pm

Well at least we can be comforted by the fact that Obama is now able to enjoy himself with his family in Hawaii.

By: uncleun
  4. December 23, 2011, 7:16 pm

May God Bless the homeless. In Jesus name amen.

By: hrobbins85@gmail.com
  5. January 8, 2012, 1:21 pm

What an irrelevant cheap shot.

By: apollo11reporter
  6. January 8, 2012, 1:28 pm

The dignity and scrappiness with which these folks are coping with their circumstances leaves me feeling encouraged, inspired, and proud to be a fellow human being. The greed and disconnectedness from the lives of others that helped tank the economy leave me feeling outraged, discouraged, and ashamed to be a member of the same species — and having the same flaws of character.

By: apollo11reporter
  7. June 12, 2013, 12:05 am

Bravo for an excellent piece. It needs to be available to millions so that Washington can see what they have done to the country. In 2013 or 14, no one in the USA should be in this situation…

Our leaders should be ashamed of themselves..this is not why we put them in office.

By: Mainscribe
  8. August 15, 2013, 12:27 pm

Reading this story two years later has me thankful for my family and the strength we gained from this experience we now live in a three bedroom apartment five children living with us and my beautiful strong wife thank you Jesus. The life we chose yesterday puts us where we are today the life we choose today puts us where we’ll be tomorrow. Jonathan ..thanks Katie

By: Jonathan long