Transgender student Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16, of Huntington Beach reacts after being crowned Homecoming Queen during halftime of Marina High School's football game Friday night.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell says being chosen as homecoming queen is “a huge step for the transgender community.”

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

As Cassidy Lynn Campbell dresses for the homecoming dance, she places her foot on her bed next to a photo of herself as a child.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, right, hangs out in her room with her friend Kayla Walker, 18, of Huntington Beach, as they start to get ready for the homecoming festivities.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Marina High School homecoming queen Cassidy Lynn Campbell, who was born a boy, puts on makeup before the homecoming dance.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Friends, from left, Jasmine Poli, 14; Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16; Melissa Hooper, 17, and Bobbie Wilkinson, 17, all of Huntington Beach, gather to have their photos taken before the homecoming dance.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Mother Wendy Walker takes a group photo. From left are Kayla Walker, 18; Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16; Melissa Hooper, 17; Ashlee Robinson, 16, Bobbie Wilkinson, 17, and Jasmine Poli, 14, all of Huntington Beach.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, right, walks with her mother, Christine Campbell, on the red carpet during halftime at the Marina High School football game. A few minutes later it was announced that Cassidy had been chosen as homecoming queen.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16, of Huntington Beach is shown next to her mother after being crowned Homecoming Queen on Friday night. Cassidy revved up a social media campaign in her effort to win the crown, joining a growing group of transgender teens who see an opportunity to shake up gender norms by entering the traditional fall competition on U.S. campuses.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Diana Le, left, has the honor of crowning transgender student Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16, Homecoming Queen of Marina High School in Huntington Beach.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Marina High School homecoming queen candidate Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16, prepares to put on her wig in her Huntington Beach bedroom.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, a transgender senior at Marina High School, is one of 10 candidates for homecoming queen.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Ashlee Robinson, 16, left, jokes with Cassidy Lynn Campbell as they put on makeup and talk about fashion in Cassidy's bedroom.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell gives herself a prescription estrogen injection. She only recently told her mother that she'd been taking testosterone blockers.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell rummages through her purse. She began this school year as a girl.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, 16, applies makeup at home. Her parents aren't discouraging her from living as the girl she always felt she was.

PHOTOGRAPH BY: Francine Orr / Los Angeles Times

Cassidy Lynn Campbell, left, spends time with her friend Ashlee Robinson, also 16.

More galleries on Framework

return to gallery

Giant rock arrives at LACMA

Giant rock arrives at LACMA

After a nearly two-week journey, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art’s newest acquisition — a 340-ton boulder that has already garnered international attention — and its...   View Post»

Being a girl every day

Pictures in the News | Sept. 1, 2011

In today's Pictures in the News, the German attack on Poland that sparked World War II is remembered, Maori warriors ceremonially welcome the Japanese rugby squad to New...   View Post»

Being a girl every day

Storms and tornado destroy Alabama neighborhoods

Devastation is widespread across Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Georgia and Virginia as officials begin an intense search-and-rescue effort in the wake of the 'catastrophic'...   View Post»

Being a girl every day

[Update: For transgender homecoming queen, a crowning achievement -- Cassidy Lynn Campbell, who was born a boy, says being picked homecoming queen at Marina High in Huntington Beach is "a huge step for the transgender community."]

When the thought of running for homecoming queen first swept through Cassidy Campbell’s mind last year, she pushed the impulse aside. It would just be a joke, she told herself. Now the high school senior sees it as a chance to make a statement. “This year,” she said, stroking her long black hair at the kitchen table in her home in Huntington Beach, “I’m a girl every day.” Cassidy has revved up a social media campaign in an effort to win the homecoming crown at Marina High School in Huntington Beach, joining a growing but still-thin group of transgender teens across the country who see an opportunity to shake up gender norms by competing in what’s long been a tradition-bound, sex-segregated American staple. “If I win it would mean that the school recognizes me as the gender I always felt I was,” Cassidy said. Photographs and video by Francine Orr, Los Angeles Times; story by Adolfo Flores, Los Angeles Times. For full story click here.

Follow Francine Orr on Twitter @FrancineOrr

1. September 21, 2013, 1:06 am

Congratulations, Cassidy! You are a GORGEOUS Homecoming Queen! As a 'chapstick' lesbian in Indiana @ 31 years old, it's such a comfort to see that your generation is breaking down the walls-of students who don't fit in getting bullied, of someone who is misunderstood getting ostracized, and of someone who can make a difference being forced to retreat into her shell because the walls of society stated that you must. You deserve to walk with your head held high, Miss Cassidy, as your tiara glitters down the school halls your senior year! I'm sure, just as many of us have in the GLBT community, you have overcome some hell-scathing experiences. Kudos to you, friend, for not succumbing to the fearfulness of ignorance of others! Too many pre-teens, teenagers, and young adults have committed suicide before they got a chance to embrace their unique natures and find their grooves. I am proud to have you in our community! My only wish for you, is that, if you already do not-please, PLEASE…ALWAYS have a strong support system available to you. The best reference is http://www.ItGetsBetter.org

Now go rock on, Girlfriend!

By: arhoevel@yahoo.com
  2. September 21, 2013, 1:10 am

freedom of speech.

By: Versacar@yahoo.com
  3. September 21, 2013, 1:59 am

Go girl, go!

By: Linda
  4. September 21, 2013, 2:35 am

crazy world we live in

By: pyellowvet
  5. September 21, 2013, 3:25 am

A phenomenal turn of events in my opinion. There are no doubt, those that will assert that it flies in the face of the natural order of things, and they won't be wrong… Which is why I'm so inclined to think it's a good thing. Congratulations, and keep defying "normal".

By: xtothem@gmail.com
  6. September 21, 2013, 5:41 am

great for the young woman,great for the school,great for america

By: rkamione@yaho.om
  7. September 21, 2013, 5:44 am

So a 16 yr old can get prescription estrogen shots without a parent's consent? Scary.

By: LMW
  8. September 21, 2013, 6:12 am

I'm proud of you Cassidy …it isn't easy taking a risk and that you did and you will not only continue to shine but be a role model for others.

Don't listen to the haters, they are but a few and the rest of us want you to succeed .

By: lainieduzit
  9. September 21, 2013, 6:16 am

This is not an issue of equality as the world describes with race. A person can change their behavior they cannot change their skin color. There are a number of people who thought they may have a homosexual inclination that never acted upon it. They refrained from the desire because they knew the Creator deems it unnatural and a final phase in searing the conscience. Although, now unreported by the media because of past consistent pressure from LGBT, the homosexual community is one of the most violent people groups globally, as well as the least monogamous.
    Unfortunately this young man began medicating himself to become effeminate before he has any life experience, maturity and information to make a reasoned choice.

"Come and let us reason together, says the LORD, though your sins be red as crimson you shall be made white as snow."

By: mijhadi@gmail.com
  10. September 21, 2013, 6:31 am

Good for you Cassidy!!! God Bless You!!

By: jordypies@yahoo.com
  11. September 21, 2013, 6:52 am

sick sick sick

By: hjd318@yahoo.com
  12. September 21, 2013, 8:11 am

Cassidy, You are a beautiful and very brave girl! Marina High School should be very proud to have you as their homecoming queen!! Continue being yourself. You are going to go far in life!!

By: redgirlsd
  13. September 21, 2013, 8:12 am

You don't get applause for being straight and white so who knows what the future holds !

By: ocanogary@yahoo.com
  14. September 21, 2013, 8:14 am

I have a grandchild who was born male but is female through and through. She didn't gain acceptance for who she is and suffers daily. I admire and respect people, of any age, who have the courage to step up and say, "I am me! Accept me for myself." Cassidy is a lovely, feminine, graceful young woman. Congratulations on your win, on both counts..

By: auntally@yahoo.com
  15. September 21, 2013, 9:03 am

stop calling him her! I am not trying to bash anyone but if I feel like a chair today no one is going to sit on me or call me a chair. This is the problem today. Everyone thinks that the world revolves around them and parents push this. I know that a lot of people supporting this do not believe in God but God does not make mistakes! To say you are a woman in a mans body or vice versa is simply saying God made a mistake. People actually think they are smarter than God. Sad, sad, sad, sad.

By: jasonwilliam74
  16. September 21, 2013, 9:10 am

Congratulations and Best of Everything in the Future! It's so important for each and everyone of us to be ourselves for a full and happy life.

By: skye1138
  17. September 21, 2013, 9:18 am

Eww.

By: Katrina
  18. September 21, 2013, 9:19 am

Good for you! I am very happy for and proud of you! This young lady is a shining example of hope and esteem. I echo her sentiments of being true to one's self … CONGRATULATIONS!
    ~J. Earl Parker, Denver, CO

By: SynonymousJ
  19. September 21, 2013, 9:26 am

I think she is so courageous, awesome, and beautiful too!

By: Pigskin
  20. September 21, 2013, 9:51 am

I am a straight, more-than-middle-aged, gleefully Christian, white Southern Girl. And I say, "You GO, Girl lllllll!!!" I surely hope that I live on long enough to see a day when acceptance of others' differences from ourselves is WIDE. God bless those who live in fear of the judgement of other humans, instead of God who makes ALL of us. And God forgive, and change the hearts of, those who cause pain to others.

By: ssssss
  21. September 21, 2013, 11:25 am

I'm sorry, but NO!!!

By: Steve
  22. September 21, 2013, 12:02 pm

Holy cow! For just a second, I thought the one on the right was her! I was thinking she should have just stayed a man.

By: sjwtrtwn@att.net
  23. September 21, 2013, 12:08 pm

Girl you deserve to wear the crown, you are beautiful

By: tommi290@yahoo.com
  24. September 21, 2013, 12:59 pm

I think this is a wonderful step and I acknowledge Cassidy for her great courage and willingness to pursue against what must have been very hard odds, her sense of true self. In addition, I truly wish to acknowledge and laud her principal and her fellow students in their bold stance for equality for all persons.

By: hoyt48@verizon.net
  25. September 21, 2013, 1:38 pm

I am a 62 year old white male and all I can say "Pretty lady, Good for you and Congratulations"
    I only post my sex and age (and I am not gay) so that Cassidy will know that I am not biased in my opinion.
    I salute your bravery

By: kdawg1951@att.net
  26. September 21, 2013, 2:20 pm

Good! Another step in accepting people as they are…

By: daherlover@yahoo.com
  27. September 21, 2013, 2:46 pm

wow no wonder she won homecoming queen
    she's so freaking pretty
    just
    wow

By: kas
  28. September 21, 2013, 3:15 pm

May God show this young man the beauty of His creation and that he makes male and female for a reason.

By: Michelle
  29. September 21, 2013, 4:08 pm

Get it girl. You are an inspiration to everyone! :-)

By: Kelli
  30. September 21, 2013, 4:54 pm

We should not permit trans genders to compete. it takes away the joy a young female would get from just being selected too run for prom queen too just even think she might lose to a male and then lose . wow ! what trama to the ego of the losers

By: bruce ballard
  31. September 21, 2013, 4:56 pm

Way to Go! Congrats Cassidy! :D

By: rabbit
  32. September 21, 2013, 5:30 pm

I believe to live and let live. We are all the same underneath. More power to her.

By: jjj
  33. September 21, 2013, 6:07 pm

She has man hands and man shoulders. There has got to be a better way. No psychotropic drugs? They can treat people who are bipolar or schizophrenic but not men who think they are women? Something that can make this delusion go away? This will end sadly.

By: OOtotisasdf
  34. September 21, 2013, 7:00 pm

Cassidy, you have the cutest nose I have ever seen!

By: jst1dimple@yahoo.com
  35. September 21, 2013, 10:48 pm

I think this is wonderful. It is so great that she is not only doing this for herself, but for the people who don’t feel like themselves in the world. You go girl! You totally deserved to be homecoming queen, no question about it.

By: Miranda
  36. September 22, 2013, 12:27 am

This is just another example of exactly what’s wrong with this country. As a child, I was always a “tom boy”; still am. I haven’t worn a dress in 25 years; don’t plan to. But I am still a female. Thank God my mother had more sense than this boy’s mother. I lived a “gay” lifestyle for 18 years, also. That ended 5 years ago. I realized I was uncomfortable with the questions my young son was asking. Now, I don’t have those strong feelings of attraction to the same sex. Praise God!!!

A

By: kt
  37. September 22, 2013, 4:38 am

Congratulations, Cassie!! I heard you had a blast! You're such a pretty girl, and you seem like a real sweetie. Thank you for being the one to take this step for the world. Stay strong and take care. : >

By: a tree
  38. September 22, 2013, 10:14 am

It does matter that Lance (Cassidy) won homecoming queen or any other female contest he enters. FACT is God made him a boy!! So no matter what he does, he will always be a male to God!! :))

By: Christy Taylor
  39. September 22, 2013, 8:01 pm

I am actually very impressed even though i am not transgendered i feel everyone has the right to be happy so i think that cassidy is very strong and could care less about what people think and i love people like that so keep up the good work cassidy!!!!!!

By: Zakiyyah Woods
  40. September 22, 2013, 8:11 pm

That's NASTY!

You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.

WOE to whoever allowed this abomination.
    Be accursed!

By: yo@mama.com
  41. September 22, 2013, 8:17 pm

I hate to say this but “she” looks like a guy dressed in drag.

By: cetude
  42. September 22, 2013, 8:58 pm

What an incredibly, courageous young woman! A GIANT STEP for the transgendered community & all of the youth who think that they can’t belong because they’re not like every one else. Also, Kudos to the students & Staff at Marina HS.

By: saundra kane
  43. September 22, 2013, 9:12 pm

Congradulations!!!!

By: jennifer
  44. September 22, 2013, 10:43 pm

super cool

By: tina
  45. September 23, 2013, 7:21 am

one word, this is sick and disgusting

By: pat@gmail.com
  46. September 24, 2013, 10:39 am

Good for you to stand up and count, helping your kind to feel better about themselves! It's a step in the right direction for human rights. Everyone has the right to live how they want as long as it doesn't interfere with day to day life for others around them. Ie. not causing a scene, violent behavior, or causing a disruption.
    It shows that young people are showing more tolerance in adapting to different lifestyles and cultures. This will go a long way for all human kind. After all we are all just human, it's all just packaging.

By: just another human